Being able to give your company a voice is highly important. It’s important to make that voice into a person who you envision being the demographic for your company.
Here is an example of what I imagine the beauty industry’s voice is:
Beauty Industry: “Hi ladies! I hope you area all enjoying your week! I enjoy hanging out with my friends, getting dolled up at night, and taking lots of pictures, and making lots of memories. I work hard, but I still know how to have fun. I love my family and my friends, and I love keeping healthy and in shape. I take very good care of my skin and I love to find new products that will enhance my skin tone and keep my skin healthy. I am extremely motivated and my goal in life is to be a better person each and every day. “
As you can see, this voice is upbeat, personable, and motivated. These are all the qualities that we want in a customer.
Now that we have found a voice for the blog, I am going to talk about some of my best practices for blogging so you can start putting the voice to use.
- Use a creative and catchy headline. This is because you want people to read your blog, and with all the posts listed on the home page, it’s easy to get lost in the mix. Stand out, be you, and be a little wacky.
- Be honest. Every blog should have an honest opinion. If your voice is honest and genuine, you will be successful every time. People love to read articles that are different than the rest because they are always looking for new advice.
- Keep it conversational. The whole point of a blog is to be social with other people. So, keep your blog conversational, and make sure you are engaging your readers with questions or thoughts.
- Address a problem. The best way to start a blog is by addressing a certain situation, which you want to see for yourself. If you are interested in the situation others will be too.
- Be visual. Include a picture at the end to tie your post together. It will allow the reader to comprehend your post better.
- Promote your blog. If you want others to view your blog, then you need to promote it through Twitter or another type of Social Media.
In Groundswell, the author states, “If you know whom you want to reach and exactly what you want to accomplish, then you’re far more likely to succeed”.
That quote says it all. In my industry, we want to reach women who are educated, working professionals, but still have fun. Since we know whom we want to reach, and that we have goals, we can move forward without stopping and wondering who we are. This is leading to success in our industry.
If these tips are fully practiced, and your blog found it’s voice, then I believe it will be very successful.
Bernoff, Josh. Groundswell. Forrester Research, Inc, 2011.